As part of our Distance Learning, we will be using Zoom, a remote video- and audio- conferencing and screen-sharing tool for multiple participants.
To get started, please download and install the free Zoom app on the device you prefer to use with your child(ren). It is very easy and intuitive, and attached are two video guides to accompany the instructions below to help you get started.
Please note the video demos were done on an iPad but the steps are similar for other devices. Zoom is compatible with PC, Mac, Linux, iOS, and Android.
Should you need assistance, please do not hesitate to contact Jill Skilton, Director of Communications at firstname.lastname@example.org.
GET STARTED WITH ZOOM
1. Go to the meeting invite email and click on the meeting link. If you don’t already have Zoom installed it will suggest a link as a first-time user. As a first-time user download and install the free Zoom app from App Store / Google store or https://zoom.us/download
2. Once installed return to the email invite and click on the meeting link to join your specific class meeting. Agree to the prompts to open the meeting in the Zoom app.
3. Wait for your teacher to start your meeting / virtual class!
USE ZOOM FEATURES IN A MEETING
1. Once the Zoom app is installed, go to the meeting invite email and click on the meeting link. Agree to prompts to open the meeting in the Zoom app. You should automatically join the meeting if it’s already in progress.
2. Agree to prompts to join the call using the recommended audio option. Here it is ‘internet audio’.
3. Tap anywhere your screen to see a menu of Meeting Controls appear. Try the following features:
a. Mute / Unmute your microphone
b. Start / Stop Video camera so participants can see you
i. Chat by sending messages to the meeting host (class guide), a specific attendee or everyone.
ii. Raise Hand to ask the meeting host (class guide) a question without interrupting the conversation.
iii. Meeting Settings give you various options to customize what you see in Zoom. Don’t be afraid to test the various features in Zoom and get familiar with what you prefer! If anything goes awry simply re-join the meeting.
4. Leave the meeting when you are done.
For more great how-to videos see https://zoom.us/resources.